Well, we finally moved out of the living room (where our bed was set up until our bedroom got finished)....which means....our bedroom is finished and it is beautiful! I will put some photos here...and just remember, this is not America...so the beauty is different...but it's beauty is enhanced even more by the fact that my hubby (who had absolutely NO experience in decorating) did every bit of the redecorating by him self!
He even laid the carpet single-handedly! The story of the carpet was great. We had priced carpet for our room and it was going to be in the realm of £290 (pounds, not dollar...like double the value of dollars!). So we kept looking until one day we were in a big B & Q near our house and we found a remnant of some carpet which we liked...and it was only £60!!! But it cost £30 to have it delivered. Now it is about 4meters x 4 meters...so pretty long! When my hubby (being a very ingenious guy!) decided that his main form of transport would be just the thing to bring our new carpet home....but his main form of transport (apart from his legs) is a bike! So imagine the scene. We go home and get his bike and go back to the shop, and the guys bring out the very long roll of carpet...and ask if we would like them to carry it to our car...and Tico says, "Just leave it here, that's fine." I asked if we could wait till the shop closed...but he thought we better start our journey home! So both of us were giggling as we strapped the very long load onto the bike and he kept it in place with the bike lock and off we went. Everyone who saw us laughed out loud!!! It was so funny! We were laughing, everyone around us was laughing and it was a great scene! But we got home without any mishaps and my ingenious husband even found a way to get the carpet up to our 2nd floor apartment...by hoisting it up with a long extension cord wrapped around it. He is just my hero! I always loved MacGyver...and now I married one!!! :-)
So now that the flat was pretty much in order...Tico wanted to have a thanksgiving dinner. In his upbringing, whenever God blessed someone in an amazing way, they often had a big dinner as a demonstration of gratitude for His blessing. So last night we invited our new friends over and had a thanksgiving dinner. I made my mom's famous chicken casserole and Tico made his famous beans, rice and even a lovely Brazilian sausage dish. It was great. We had AMERICAN brownies for dessert and it was a hit! We had 5 Brazilians, 1 Swedish, 1 Australian and 1 1/2 Americans (that's me and the baby!) It was fun and crazy and I wish all our families had been there to give thanks for the blessing of our new home!
The last bit of excitement is that yesterday we went to the Dr and we heard our baby's heartbeat! It was music to our ears! Thank God for this wonderful blessing too! We will have to have another dinner later to celebrate him/her!



7 comments:
I wish you had a picture of the carpet on the bicycle - great story!
Would you believe that even with having four kids and all those times you get to hear the babies heartbeat with each check up, etc. I never once got tired of that amazing sound - looked forward to it every time. "-)
Tico looks like such a fun guy to be around. I'm so happy for you and your newly decorated flat and baby on board. You deserve so much happiness.
I want to come to your thanksgiving dinner!! I loved Tico's spontanaiety at wanting to celebrate God's daily blessings. And I really loved your last post about our faith becoming reality...that is a great analogy to childbirth and I had never thought of it like that before.
I agree with Mary, you should have taken a picture of the bike and the carpet. I love your tradition of having a big dinner with friends and family to celebrate a blessing. Are you going to find out what the sex is of the baby?
Dara,
Great story about Tico and the bike! And what a great attitude for you to have. Jamey also has a lot of ingenuity and I must admit that I get embarrassed way too easily-- my attitude being, "Why can't we just be normal!" But that is a good way to miss an adventure! (and a good story)
Excited for you guys and your new home. Jamey built our house and we moved in before it was finished so I can appreciate the blessing of every new project that gets completed!
Dara & Thiago.....we love you three so much!!! It would have been so much fun to have been at your Thanksgiving party!!! We are planning on having one here when you come to our house!!!:) CAN'T WAIT!!! Dad wants to know...who steered the bike and who pushed?!LOL!
ha! Dad, Thiago steered and I walked behind shouting 'long load!' He gave me the easy job! ha!! love u guys and we are so exciting to see you and the rest of the family soon!
Post a Comment