Tuesday, 21 October 2008

life...

(24 weeks...)

I haven't written here for ages! Maybe cuz there isn't much news. We are slowly gathering things for baby Kaleb...we joined Freecycle (yahoo) where people advertise things they want to give away. We got a lovely car-seat/baby-carrier. We also got a couple bags of little sleepers (I don't know the official name) for Kaleb. They are all washed, ironed and ready to use. I couldn't help thinking as I sat ironing them that this may just be the only time they ever get ironed! ha! I want to have my son well presented, but I have been told the life of a new mommy is pretty hectic and as the baby gets his clothes changed several times a day to begin with, maybe wrinkle-free clothes aren't going to be a big priority! ha! We are slowly gathering together a circle of friends...it isn't the easiest thing to do here as we live just outside of the city centre and basically everyone is pretty busy with life, so we don't always have opportunities to meet people. Sadly I was unwell the last 2 sundays so missed church...which is something I DO miss! I love church...I know some people hate church...but I am not one of those people. Church isn't only a wonderful social opportunity...it is a wonderful worship opportunity and I love singing and praying to God without distractions of dirty dishes in the kitchen or dirty laundry needing washed. So as I was saying, we are gathering a circle of friends and it is wonderful. We realised that in London our friends were young and just trying to find their way in life...whereas here we have lots of 'professional' friends...they have their careers sorted out and have families of their own. But anyway...that is the fun of this journey called life! Everyone God brings into your pathway...is there for a reason...to be blessed by you and to bless you! God is good. Speaking of God's blessings...the bump is one of our constant reminders of God's blessings. Little Kaleb is a bundle of activity...mostly at night! The other night our neighbors had a party...complete with Karaoke playing a variety of very LOUD music until 5am. Our little flat pulsated with the noise and Tico and I were laying in bed with pillows over our heads trying to sleep in spite of it...while Kaleb was dancing and jiving and kicking and having a great time! But about the time I wondered if there was any stopping all this activity so I could get some REST...I remembered that having an active baby is much better than not having one at all! So instead of complaining I said a thank you to my God...he is so kind! The decisions I need to make for the next phase of my life are big life-changers for me. I have always dreamed of being a stay-at-home mom...and now that that possibility is facing me...I have all the dread and worry of how we are going to make if financially without me working, etc. But it is a journey of faith and I know God will provide for us. I just need to exercise more faith! I remember my mom (until the day she died) regretting having to go straight back to work after her kids were born. I don't want to have that regret...but making decisions like this aren't easy! Then the other worry is whether I am going to be good at my new 'job' of being a mommy! Will Kaleb like me...will he respond to me....will I be wise as a mom...will I balance the love I have for my husband and for my son properly? Will I build a beautiful nest of love for my family to grow in....will I be able to prepare my children for life in the real world? I suppose all these things are normal worries...but the other day I came to the realisation that I am not going to have all the answers before the journey even begins. I WILL make mistakes, I will not do everything perfectly....but I will try to be teachable and keep plugged into the Holy Spirit so that I can be a kind of mom/wife that is continually improving and not so sure of myself that I can't take advice. I will sign off by putting some pictures on here of random happenings in our life... Oh AND...the most exciting news is that we go on holiday to USA in 3 weeks!! Tico is so excited!!! and so am I!!!! Hope we can see some of you while there!!!




scottish scenery


me and Kaleb...27 weeks




my birthday...


My birthday cake...YUMMY!

The man of my dreams!







9 comments:

Anita Marie said...

Dara, Thanks for checking on me. I haven't added anything to my art blog in ages. Check my main blog out at http://www.gadalkin.blogspot.com/

Your bump is blooming beautifully. Isn't freecycle a wonderful thing? We have given and received some very useful things through the service.

You have so many questions going through your mind during this time of change in your life. As long as you keep humble and plugged into the Holy Spirit...I know you will do just fine.

I must meet up with you up in Scotland. I have family and friends in your neck of the woods.

Mary Ellen said...

Even though I use google reader that tells me anytime my friends blog it had been so long since you had posted I came here yesterday to make sure I hadn't missed any. How funny that the very next day you posted!

You look so adorable. Kaitlyn was my in belly night time dancer too, she would start kicking it up about every night at midnight, it was quite funny...and yet not. I think the movement during the day lulled her to sleep and when I stopped then she woke up and went into action. I swear that child was in there doing aerobics!

All of your fears, etc. are so normal for a Mommy - first time or tenth time doesn't matter. We all have the same fears. With God by our side we just do the best we can and fill in the gaps with prayer. "-)

How I wish your trip to the USA included FL but I think I saw on Facebook that you are going to be in Idaho...not exactly nearby. Have a wonderful time!

Mary Ellen said...

Ooops, not Facebook - it was on another blog where you left a comment, it just hit me.

Cara said...

Hey Dara,

Don't worry about adjusting to a new baby--you will. It just happens. (I am the voice of experience with 4 kids!lol) I knew next to nothing about babies when I had Cameron. Some girls have a lot of practice with little ones because of being around family and friends with kids, but I was not one of those girls! So I read books and learned one step at a time! You will be a wonderful mother. It is one of the most rewarding journeys you will make in this life.

julie f said...

I can't wait to see you! You look so very darling...are you enjoying the "new look" you are sporting?

I think you have concerns common to all mothers...and then as you have more children, some concerns go away and different ones come! Having this last baby had me the most concerned of all, but we CAN do all things through Christ, and He does give the strength we need! I have great confidence in your mothering ability and wisdom...it seems like you have always had a baby around. I remember you practically raising little Stephanie for a while (Do you remember all the fun we had hauling her around a Midway Camp, feeling like little mommies?)

Let me know if you need my phone number so we can connect...I can email it to you!

Love ya,
Julie

Anonymous said...

Yes, it has been a while since you blessed us with pictures. I love the black and white picture. Wow! you are a writer. My eyes couldn't read it all...the white on black runs together after a while, but I still enjoyed stopping by. Have a great weekend!

jenny said...

Oh Dara, you are going to be a fantastic mom. I have to say there are fears all along the way...so I relate to all your words. I love that you are ironing the clothes!! That was important to me to, that everything at least started off nice and neat....you know, doing the best you can to provide the best for this most beloved child.

I wish I could see you while you are here but I will be looking forward to seeing pics from the trip.

Loved the Edinburgh castle pics!!!!

Anonymous said...

How fun that you got to see Beth. From London to Idaho...and I will be there in three weeks. What is your due date again?

julie f said...

Dara-dear~

I wish so badly that I could have seen you while you were here! You were resting when I called one night and then we were having car problems so I was at the mechanic's the day you called. Next time is a MUST!

I hope your trip was wonderful and look forward to seeing pictures!
Love ya,
Julie