Monday, 8 October 2012

orchestra

Sometimes I wonder if it's all a grand orchestra that we are contributing to. I remember when I was learning to play the flute (a passing fancy, I have to admit). We were given the 'flute' line to practise and memorise. My niece was learning with me and we would play our little part day after day at home and to be honest it wasn't  the most exciting line of music!  I used to be in a choir and I sang in the alto section. When learning a new song, the choir master would go over and over the separate parts (tenor, alto, base) and each separate part didn't really sound amazing....separately. But several weeks into it when he put all voices together to do our individual part, the result was amazing! Maybe sometimes I don't understand the music I have been given to play. It sounds repetitive, boring and maybe a little out of key. But when I see my individual part along with the other parts that make up this orchestra of life, I see it's beauty and it's importance. If my (seemingly) unimportant line was missing, the orchestra would miss it. The music would be lacking, incomplete. But when I contribute the part I have been given to sing/play...the orchestra is complete and the music is brilliant.
What is your part to play? Don't hide behind the excuse that your part is obscure, menial, insignificant. YOU may not see it's importance right now from where you stand, but keep practising, keep playing your part...you are making life's orchestra complete....your contribution makes life's music whole.

No comments: