Sunday, 15 June 2008

Father's Day


























Well, today is Father's day...his day to be appreciated and loved in a special way...cuz of all the wonderful things he is and he has done as our Father. Sadly, my dad is thousands of miles away today and I can only connect to him via telephone to send a hug and good wishes. But at least there are telephones! Thank you, Lord for telephones, email and the world-wide-web!








My earliest memories of my dad are his large hands and his long strides. I remember trying to keep up with him so that he would be proud of me when we went for a walk. I remember him telling me I was beautiful (especially when I wore my hair in a bun...why?!). In my teenage years, I remember him stepping in when my mom and I didn't see eye-2-eye. He was the voice of reason when our lady-hormones made us both a little unreasonable! I remember the most embarrassing moment of him taking me to Sears to order my first training bra (on strict instructions from my mom). I was so excited but embarrassed, too. When he approached the desk to make the catalogue order (along with some other stuff he needed), I pretended not to be with him and roamed around the shop pretending to be interested in random equipment. As my dad finished up his order, he suddenly remembered he needed to get a bra too. When the guy asked what size he would be needing...he looked around until he located me and said, "Well, I don't know. What size do you think she needs?" I could have died on the spot! Thanks dad! The great thing about my dad was that that kind of thing was not a big deal to him. He took it all in his stride...being raised with 3 sisters and raising 3 daughters. I found it all so embarrassing that I would even send him to buy my 'lady' supplies during that time of the month! And like a trooper, he would do it, without a problem. One day he arrived home to say he got everything on my list except for the purple pods...he said he had involved everyone in the store in searching for the purple pods but no one was able to locate them. I shyly took the list off him and said, "Dad, it said purple PADS...but nevermind...thanks for trying!" Oh, what fun he must have had raising girls!


A very prominent memory I have of Dad is him in his rocking chair every morning (come rain, come shine) reading his big bible! And that was a very solid testimony to me (and all of us) of his deep commitment to God. He isn't a loud person nor does he voice his opinions very readily, but his commitment to God was always vividly clear. He and my mom mutually established a family worship time. It was held every morning before we left for school or work or whatever our daily activity was. My parents continued this even after most of us had left home...it was Family Worship and it is a treasured memory! Thanks Dad!



My dad is an approachable man. I like that about him. I like having a relationship with him which matters. My opinion matters to him, my comments are important to him and he values me. I know that he loves me and that is so important. I have been in relationships where I knew I was not loved...and this relationship is not one of those.





Thanks, Dad, for loving me...and raising me to love God. That is THE most important gift you and mom passed on to me. Thank you for loving me when I went through my own struggles. Thanks for letting me come to my own conclusions and have my own relationship with God without dictating to me what that had to look like outwardly. Thank you for respecting my spirituality and trusting in me.




Dad, another important lesson you taught me throughout life is that people deserve a second chance. I can't even remember the number of times we had homeless people, hitchhikers, troubled youth, etc in our home and we were taught by your example to love them as Jesus would. You often quoted the verse that says, "Be careful to entertain strangers, for some have entertained angels unawares...". Mom used to call these your angels. Dad, I have met people in my adult life that only help others if they get reimbursed for it...for the water, electricity, gas, etc which they used to entertain 'angels'. Thanks for freely giving of what you had, knowing that the only ONE who would reimburse you was GOD. I have seen you give sacrificially, trusting God to provide your needs. Thank you for loving those who others may not have loved. When I look at the various people who you call 'friends'...I smile cuz they are so interesting! Dad, you would fit in a room with the queen and with the local beggars! And you would equally say funny things to both and make them feel important! Thank you! That is something I want to imitate and pass on to my family!




Now...as a new phase of your life begins with a new love and a new wife...I am so excited for you! I want you to be happy and enjoy the life God has given you. When I see you with Faith and see your love for each other, I feel so excited! There are great things in store...you have both walked through the valley of the shadow of death with your partners...and God has brought your paths together in an amazing way.


To sum it up...thank you for being an amazing dad! Thanks for the love and pride that I see in your eyes when you look at me. Thanks for visiting me and making me feel special. Thanks for introducing me to God and sharing him with me throughout my life's journey. You are great! I am excited that my children will know you (God willing!).

Thanks for being a good father-in-law to my hubby. He adores you!



Have a great day, Dad! With our love, Tico and Dara











3 comments:

Marty said...

Dara, He sounds like an amazing Daddy! I am also blessed to have such a great father...that would be a wish for every little girl! I'm sure your dad cried when he read your blog!

jenny said...

Oh Dara! that bra story is way too funny. I only met your Dad once but could definitely picture him (and you!) acting out the scenario you described.

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad...those are wonderful attributes you described in him.

And congrats to your Dad on his upcoming marriage!! Deb was just visiting with us this month and she and Rod are equally happy to have your Dad now as a member of their family.

Cara said...

Dara,

I was so excited to find your blog! Many times I have thought about you and wondered how you are doing. It has been neat to read your blog and "catch-up" with you. Congratulations on your marriage. And I am very happy for your dad and Faith. I am an irregular blogger, but you'll catch a glimps into my life if you visit. Just click on the link here or go to Jenny's page and link from there. (I can barely remember my email address to sign myself in let alone give you my blog address)